header-photo

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Movies

I mentioned in a previous post that we have recently bought a new dvd player. Our old dvd player would play some movies just fine and others it would spit out in defiance. You couldn't predict which would happen. We would watch a movie one day and then a few days later try the same movie again and it wouldn't work. It was extremely frustrating. Since the purchasing of the new player a week ago I have watched several new movies that I really enjoyed. Stranger Than Fiction and The Pursuit of Happyness were two of my favorites. These were movies that were given to us or purchased by us that I hadn't been able to watch because of the old picky dvd player. Now I can see anything I want! And the great thing about dvd players in Turkey is they are multi-regional. I can watch movies from Region 1...America or Region 2...Europe. I could probably watch movies from other regions as well, but I don't happen to own any. (Our dvd player in America would only play Region 1 movies so that people couldn't buy a pirated copy of a movie overseas. They are much more careful with copyright laws there.) (We don't own any pirated copies of movies except the few that were given to us...Brian would want me to say that.)

All of that to say I love movies. I love lines from movies, and these movies had some good ones. Since I have only seen them once each I can't remember what all the great lines were. All of that got me thinking about lines from movies that I love. Lines I laugh at, am moved by, and use on a regular basis for no apparent reason. Here are a few of my most often quoted favorite lines.

I knew a girl at school called Pandora. Never got to see her box, though. (my number one favorite at the moment...makes me laugh everytime I hear it!)

You're just a bee charmer, Idgie Threadgoode. That's what you are, a bee charmer. (she doesn't even realize that she is a charmer...I love that!)

He must have had on some really nice pants. (from The Pursuit of Happyness...a new one)

You think I'm gorgeous, you want to kiss me... You want to hug me... You want to love me... You want to hug me... You want to smooch me... You want to... (used often when I have exasperated my family)

I'm sorry, what was the question? I was distracted by the half-masticated cow rolling around in your wide-open trap. (one of Brian's favorites as well...used anytime someone is talking with their mouth full.)

Miss Rhode Island, please describe your idea of a perfect date. That's a tough one. I would have to say April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket. (another of Brian's favorites)

I know there are many more...my mind is drawing a blank now. I'm sure I'll add to the list as I think of them!

No comments: