When we moved to Turkey we were surprised to learn that we had to purchase light fixtures for our apartment. They aren't standard issue here. When people move they take their light fixtures with them. The people who rented our apartment for us before we arrived in Turkey had been kind enough to install these lovely fixtures in all of the main rooms of the house so that we could at least have some light.
Our lovely lights on a string were wired into the wall so we could flip a switch to turn them on instead of stumbling around in the dark trying to find that little chain.
After purchasing the more important things we needed to live...like beds...we ventured out to find new light fixtures. Ceiling fans were a relatively new thing and seeing that our house didn't have a/c we decided that they were also a necessary thing. We purchased fans for every room except the bathrooms and hallway. Good move on our part I think.
Now for the pet peeve thing. It drives me crazy when a fan light bulb goes out. It doesn't just flicker and then die. No. It explodes. Literally. The light bulb pops and sends glass flying all over the room. This seems to happen at the most inopportune times as well. Like last night. It was the middle of the night. I got up to go to the bathroom and get a drink. I also decided to grab something from the living room. I turned on the light...pop...crash...glass all over the floor, the computer, the chair...everywhere. Man. I didn't want to clean up glass in the middle of the night. Since it wasn't in the kitchen which would be the first room anyone visited when they woke up (well, after the bathroom, that is) I decided to just go back to bed and deal with it this morning. Fast forward to this morning. Brian walks into the living room. Now normally he would have been barefoot...or at least in socks, but he was about to take the kids to school when he realized he needed something from the file box in the living room. Thankfully he had already put his shoes on. He walked over the crunchy floor and wonder aloud what he was walking on. I had forgotten about the exploding light bulb (mainly because I had taken Nyquil when I went to bed, but that is another post for another time,) and was glad he wasn't barefoot. (Brian cleaned up the mess after he took the kids to school...I know...what a guy!)
Where the light bulb was. Now we have to turn off the power and use needle nose pliers to change this bulb. Because there are two more light bulbs on this fan I don't see that happening anytime soon. Yeah...we're lazy.
The exploding light bulbs. Maybe it has everything to do with the wattage of the light bulbs used. We use 40 watt bulbs because anything less really isn't bright enough. Maybe the fan wiring isn't that great. I have no idea. What I do know is this...the hallway and bathroom light fixtures use regular light bulbs. The lamps use regular light bulbs. And they never explode. Never.
(I know I haven't posted 47 pet peeves before this one. I think I have only posted one, but since I called that post Pet Peeve #47 I decided to use #48 for this one. If it bothers anyone I can try to come up with 46 additional pet peeves, but that will be hard. I am usually easy to please and fairly content. I'm just saying.)