header-photo

Monday, November 12, 2007

Pizza

I am reading a book that has a description of pizza that I can't get out of my head. It's not so much the description of the pizza but the description of where to find the pizza. In the book the author is visiting Italy. While in Italy someone tells her to visit a certain pizzeria in Naples. He claims it's the best pizza in Naples. The author then goes on to explain that the best pizza in the world is found in Italy. The best pizza in Italy is found in Naples, and the best pizza in Naples is found at this certain pizzeria. That makes the pizza she is about to experience the best pizza in the world! She tries it and has this to say about it.

"So Sofie and I have come to Pizzeria de Michele, and these pies we have just ordered - one for each of us- are making us lose our minds. I love my pizza so much, in fact, that I have come to believe in my delirium that my pizza might actually love me, in return. I am having a relationship with this pizza, almost an affair. Meanwhile, Sofie is practically in tears over hers, she's having a metaphysical crisis about it, she's begging me, "Why do they even bother trying to make pizza in Stockholm? Why do we even bother eating food at all in Stockholm?"

Tonight we decided to order pizza. We have a Dominoes, a Pizza Hut and a Little Caesars that will deliver to our house. We chose to order from Little Caesars, and after the great description of the pizza in Naples all I can say is that I ate one bite of what was probably the worst pizza in the world. I have never liked pizza in Turkey. It is terrible. They put very little tomato sauce on it and no spices. The pizza comes with a spice packet that says it includes oregano, garlic, salt, sugar, onion, and red pepper. I guess if I want flavorful pizza I have to add the spices myself.



I pulled off the cheese to show you how much sauce is on the pizza. I couldn't even get the cheese off of the top part of this pizza because it was glued to the bread! Notice the two tiny spots of tomatoey substance. Yum!



The spice packet. I know in America pizzas sometimes come with red pepper packs or parmesan packs. Not here...the ingredients were written on the back and it seriously included all of the above mentioned things. You can even order your pizza from some places with oregano as an ingredient. "I'd like a three topping pizza. Yeah, let me have one with cut up hotdogs, whole kernal corn, and oregano." Seriously!

I know that in the states the pizza is much better than it is here...more flavorful for sure. I did enjoy it a few times when I was there. But something about the description of pizza in Naples just calls to me. I so want to love pizza. I guess I'll have to go to Naples. Sigh

No comments: