header-photo

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Yummy!




Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books
While in Ulus yesterday I took this video during lunch. First the dough is rolled into a large circle. This thin circle of dough is called yufka (you-f-ka). Yufka can be used for many things, but my favorite is gozleme (goes-leh-may). Gozleme is very similar to a quesadilla. It can be prepared with many different ingredients. I had cheese and eggplant gozleme yesterday. It was yummy! I have tried my hand at rolling the dough like the Turkish women do, and basically...I am terrible at it! I never can roll a circle. My dough ends up too thin in some places and too thick in other spots. Somehow I manage to get the dough stuck to the rolling pin or to itself. It tears or holes form as I try to get it to cooperate. Thankfully yufka is sold in the grocery stores here so I can just buy it when I need it!

Oh...during the video I am talking to one of the girls visiting us from the states. Just so you know.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting... do you have the right kind of rolling pin??

It looks like it is all in the wrist, like she is making small circles to get it to spread even... The fact she folds it into a square after all that rolling it into a circle, cracked me up!

Maybe you can get some lessons.... {grin}

It does look yummy, yet another thing to get to taste, when I visit!

Anonymous said...

Looks delish!

Gina said...

I think gozleme was one of my favorite dishes; I think I had one with spinach and meat, and we also had the 'dessert' one with honey and chocolate. Yum, Yum!!

Natalie said...

charlie girl - i have the right kind of rolling pin. i have been shown and taught and i still can't do it. i'll be sure to take you to a place to have some. maybe they'll let you try your hand at making it! that will be a video opportunity for sure!

andrea - it is yummy for sure!

gina - the dessert one is one of my favorites. not all places will make the dessert one though. yum...now i want a honey/sugar one!

Anonymous said...

Great video, and I love the site. I got to you from a comment you left at OverThinker's place.

That really looks good.

Natalie said...

hank - thanks! i love the over-thinker! and gozleme is really good. there is something for everyone!