header-photo

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Let's Take a Trip

Because it's not all about the fun here at Tell Me About It I am choosing to do a serious post today. Well not really serious. I am not even in a serious mood. I am in the mood to gaze at the lush greenery, and the mountains, and the rocks around the Black Sea. So because I want to look at them I am subjecting you to them as well. I am posting more pictures from our Black Sea trip. Some of them have been explained. Some are just pictures. Enjoy. And wish you were there with me.


The town of Amasra on the Black Sea


A closer look.




The beaches of the Black Sea are rocky. These rocks were getting wet from the surf.


Dry rocks a little further up. I brought home pocketfuls of these things!


Further up the beach the rocks give way to sand.


A hazelnut tree. The lighter green flower type thing is where the nuts are.


A view of the Black sea from the road.


A Caravan Saray in Kastamonu. This place was used like a hotel. Caravans would spend the night in places like these so that they were protected from thieves. This one wasn't in very good condition. Many we've seen have been set up with quaint shops and restaurants.






I was hating those power lines!


a close-up. again...the power lines getting in the way!

And there you have it folks. A inexpensive little trip just for you. And it didn't take all the hours of sitting in the car, having to try to use a squatty potty when you needed to go, and bowls of Iskembe Soup. You're welcome.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I alwys bring home pocketfuls of rocks and shells fron beaches.

Anonymous said...

I guess that will have to do. You forgot to mention that we also avoid 15 hours of air travel!

HeyJoe said...

Somehow I don't think it's a coincidence that Iskembe soup and squatty potty were used in the same sentence.

Anonymous said...

Can you please adopt me until you come back? You are obviously having A LOT more fun than I am.
We have...the Ohio River? Cicadas?
*sigh*

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos, Natalie!

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Once again, your photographers eye amazes me to the point of breathlessness...

I love the wet rocks picture and think I have a new background for my computer.

The old buildings are good and I agree about the power lines. There is a program you can use to erase things in pictures you don't want... I will look it up for you sometime...

Thanks for sharing and giving me a new place to visit in my mind's eye. It is always good to take a mental vacation from time to time.

The Over-Thinker said...

I needed an escape today, so thank you :)

The Iskembe Soup? Not so much.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's fantastic. Really beautiful. I've actually wondered what the Black Sea looks like. Not for that long, or that often, but I've wondered.

Posted the link to you today. So my reader might come calling (I think I have one...or maybe that's just me visiting my own site).

I have four little ones, two boys and two girls, though a little younger than yours, but I still feel like I can relate.

Anonymous said...

wish I was there!

Natalie said...

citizen of the world - it was beautiful. unfortunately on these beaches there were no shells...just rocks. but they were amazing!

anon - true...i did forget about the air travel!

heyjoe - well it wasn't intentional, but it totally works. i should have put the soup part first, because after tasting that you might be happy to have a squatty available!

~m - of course we can adopt you. you must know, though, that i reserve the right to subject all my children to various forms of grief such as taste tests of nasty food, missing important school events, not giving them sips of my diet coke, making them listen to "my" music because it is way better than theirs, and just all around annoying them whenever possible. if you agree to all that then you're in!

jozjozjoz - thanks! thanks for the visit!

charlie girl - thanks! i do have a full shot of the wet rocks if you want it. for that one i just cropped out part of the picture so they would be bigger. i've heard about that program, but i am mostly too lazy to look for it.

over-thinker - you're welcome! i'm so sorry about your lucy.

hank - the black sea is beautiful! i've heard it is even more so in the eastern part of the country, but i've never had a chance to go there.

and wow! thanks for the link. one of these days i'll do a blogroll. the one i have now has been the same forever. and i got a little grief over it once so i am a little gun shy about adding people to it just yet.

vanessa - me too!

Anonymous said...

Of course I want the full picture... Right now I have it centered as my screen saver and have to squint to see what it is.....

Maybe it is really old age and my eyes failing... but still... send the picture please....

I can't find my blog said...

I love your pictures. I haven't traveled in a long time...*sigh*

I quoted you in my last K post-did you catch it?

Natalie said...

headless mom - thanks. i love taking pictures so it works out well for both of us!

i checked back on your blog. that was a great series you did. way to go!