header-photo

Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday morning ramblings

Ahhh...finally...I'm back. Many of you may not have even noticed my absence. I still blogged, but not really. The last two posts were posted thanks to the whole set-them-to-post-later option. So you may not have missed me, but I have missed you. For the last two days I was only online long enough to read emails and throw a few comments out there in the blog world. I know. That doesn't seem like a long time, but I am used to being able to get online whenever I want for the most part. I don't spend all day on my computer, but I can sit down for an hour to check emails and write a little something most days. The past few days though have been different, because we have had guests. 3 or 5 depending on the day and the occasion. Guests all the way from Alabama. They have all been to Turkey numerous times, and one couple even lived here for 10 years. We didn't know them before they came which may seem strange to most seeing as they are now camped out in various rooms of my house. This overseas life works like that. They know people we know so we were hooked up so to speak. And they brought peanut butter so of course I was going to let them sleep on my couch and pee in my toilet. I mean that is only fair!

Brian played tour guide and took them on a trip to the Black Sea. Having recently been on that same trip I didn't feel the need to go again. Especially since Anna Grace was coming home from camp while they were gone. And can I just insert a few things about Anna Grace here? Thanks. She was a royal hiney at camp. I know she was tired. I know her bed was hard. I know they ate sandwiches and noodles and ketchup everyday for lunch. I know it was hot. I know that every spare minute was planned with some activity. But still. Anna Grace is 8 and threw tantrums like a 2 year old. I know. I was called on Wednesday night and heard her before I ever heard the person who called identify themself. Thankfully she only cried 4 out of the 7 nights. But I still feel sorry for the counselors who had to deal with her. She wasn't just missing us or home. She was beyond that. She was mad and made sure everyone knew it. Will, who has been to camp twice and who refused to go again, said, "I told you so" when we were talking about sending her to camp. Now we know. Listen to Will. He knows what he is talking about.

Ok...back to my guests. Last night we sat around and compared music tastes. Everyone had their ipods pulled out, and we were going through some of our favorites. I was quite impressed with the eclectic music tastes on display. We heard snippets from all music genres and time periods. I'm talking Justin Timberlake, The Wiggles, KD Lang, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Brad Paisley, Grits, Amy Winehouse, Amy Grant, Frank Sinatra, Beastie Boys, and I could go on and on. When your kids are asking you to turn down the music you know you have arrived!

Today Brian took the group to the town of Beypazari. Today I have some free moments to myself. Well...as long as the three kids who are here let me. Today I felt the need to connect to you. Thanks for reading, commenting, and coming back. I will continue with my early Turkish life posts, but they won't be back to back. I have really enjoyed all the feedback on my blog review post. From both my site and the site where the review was published. I know there is no way to please everyone. I know that I could kill myself trying. I am not a people pleaser so I have no desire to bow to the whims or preferences of others. I write what I write for me. And if anyone out there enjoys it then I am beyond thrilled. The reviewer said something about the site possibly being a place for my family and friends to come and catch up on our lives here. That is what it was initially intended to be. I know my in-laws read the blog. I know my sister reads the blog. My sister-in-law has been known to read the blog. And I do have a few friends who know me in real life reading as well. My parents, brothers, and other family members don't care a bit about reading the blog. If they want to know what is going on they just call. So I would have to say the overwhelming majority of people who find themselves here have never met me in real life. They don't know me personally. That intrigues me. Makes me want to be a better writer. Paint a better picture. And oftentimes I have no idea how to do that.

9 comments:

Mike S said...

The videos, slide shows, and photos are wonderful.

One place we lived in Japan was a friend's old family farmhouse, complete with 500+ year old technology for the most part. Beautiful surroundings and VERY rural. We had stateside guest 3 times there, 2 parties which visited us in other places too. One couple never visited us again until our return to the USA many years later. I didn't ask why, but I believe it had to do with the first 2 groups having visited in summer and the 3rd visiting in January. Old Japanese farmhouses aren't noted for comfortable winter living. Just a guess though:)

Anonymous said...

Great post... you are certainly coming into your own on your blog! I did miss you, but I have been away from the computer the last couple of days myself...

Glad we are both back, sorta!

Sue Wilkey said...

Thanks for commenting!! I LOVED the youtube video "she say you so pretty". Hilarious.

Tamara said...

Speaking of using your toilets....

We just watched The Bourne Ultimatum, and there was a fight scene in the bathroom (in Tangier) that took place over a squatty potty! I told Brian, "Hey, that's a squatty potty!" He replied, "Really?", to which I responded, "Yeah...it makes me think of the Dixons!" lol

Natalie said...

mike s - thanks! i bet the cold weather turned them off! we have friends who live somewhere in japan, and i've heard about the winters. i have a hard enough time here! i don't think i could handle much colder!

charlie girl - thanks. it's good to be home. i mean here. you know what i mean.

sue - girl, i knew you would! i cracked up every time i watched it!

tamara - awww...turkish toilets remind you of us. thanks! hee hee!

The Over-Thinker said...

The juxtaposition of Amy's Grant and Winehouse just made my day.

"They try to make me go to rehab and I say no, no, no I'm going to church." :)

Natalie said...

over-thinker - well...it's true. the list of songs was so random which just made me love it even more! don't try to put my musical tastes in a box!

Jennifer S said...

I love your blog, and I'm not related to you so I don't have to--I just do!

This afternoon, I was just talking with a friend about summer camp. I'm thinking of sending my boy next summer (he will be 10). Not sure if my daughter is ready yet, though. I'm afraid I would get the same kind of phone calls.

Enjoy your houseguests, and the peanut butter!

Natalie said...

jennifer h - i'm glad you like the blog. thanks!

we don't have to do summer camp again now. next summer we will be in the states, and i'm pretty sure we will fill things up without having to think about summer camp.