header-photo

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Water painting

On our recent trip to Kastamonu we met an artist. His medium was quite different than anything we had ever seen before. He had a pan of what looked like water. He took metal tipped sticks and dipped them into whatever paint color he wanted. He then dropped the drips of paint onto the surface of the water. He maneuvered the paint with the sticks until it looked like he wanted it to as it floated on the surface of the water.


He says "I draw rose." He also says the water is original. We are pretty sure he meant that the paintings are all original. Brian then asks him if he is using oil paints. He says no. He also says that the colors come from the earth, and he makes the paint by hand. He then talks about the liquid coming from the roots of plants. We left there not really having any idea exactly what kind of plants or water or paints he used, but it was quite fascinating.


After he finished the painting on the water he laid a piece of plain white paper on top of it. He left it there for just a few seconds.


When he lifted the paper off this was the result. This picture was about 13x11 inches and cost 40 lira...about $35.

I decided that I should buy something from him since we stood there for so long and since it was quite unique. I chose the following two pieces which are about 5x7 size. They were 5 lira apiece.



I have no idea what I will do with them, but I'm sure I'll think of something!

Brian is headed back to this town later this week. Maybe I'll have him pick up a couple more and I can have another contest...hm...now there's an idea! What colors would you be interested in?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if he does ocean scenes? Some local Turkish scenery would be interesting....

I think blues and greens would be nice, but I am sure than anything Brian picks out will create another CRAZY contest here on your blog!

Thanks for sharing this, you know I am curious as I can be about the process. I did wonder if there is lead in the paints there, or if they really are plant based?

I would love to try something like this, but need to watch the video like 100 more times, find the right paint, learn to draw, and who knows how long that will take???

Wicked H said...

Oh, Ebru ( at least I thnk that is the name of that type of art). I have a few from my trips to Turkey.

Thoroughly enjoying your site as a 1st generation Turkish American it is refreshing to see a positive review of my homeland.

Sra said...

Wow, those are beautiful. I've never seen anything quite like them.

Anonymous said...

The designs are so interesting! With the waves and the bubbles you can really see the water effect. I love the colors, especially those in the top painting.

Anonymous said...

It looks so precise! That is pretty amazing. I love blues and greens with another color, maybe pink or yellow thrown in. I think that's a great contest idea.

Mamadallama

Anonymous said...

They are just gorgeous!
I would have stood there all day watching him paint.

Peace
#2

Gina said...

I think they would both look pretty in a bathroom; but you would probably have to have them framed behind glass, because I'm not sure if the steam would ruin them!! They are unique and quite pretty.

Natalie said...

charlie girl - i don't think he does ocean scenes. they were mostly flowers. i saw some marbled looking paintings as well. the kind you would find in the front and back flaps of old books.

and i will be doing a contest with some for sure. i will wait for july though! i have too much going on before then!

i don't think there is lead in the paint. they honestly seem like watercolors when you feel them. not sure how the whole thing works!

wicked h - thanks for the visit. and you are right...that is what the painting style is called. i guess i should have mentioned that in my post!

we love turkey. of course, like everywhere, it has it's issues, but it has been a great place to live!

thanks for the visit!

sra - i know. i thought so as well. not sure i would want a huge one in my house, but they were quite pretty!

missnightowl - the top painting was still wet when i took the picture so i think it would have faded some as it dried. it was so unique...i loved watching it.

mamadallama - it was pretty precise. he was quite proud of his work too! the contest will happen in july.

#2 - i agree. we did stand there a long time! i think he would have been offended if we didn't purchase anything!

gina - i will have to see which room they match when i get to the states. i am not hanging them up here! i refuse to drill anymore holes in these concrete walls!

Johnson Journal said...

I those kinda of pictures. Billy got me one for my birthday a few years ago.

Anonymous said...

Those are really interesting. I am so lacking in artistic talent that I am impressed by those who have it.

Tamara said...

That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen! I love all the colors! I like the more complicated design in the top picture.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing and fascinating process! Thanks for sharing it. It's a gorgeous medium!

Anonymous said...

love the paintings- you are living the life my husband and I haven't had the guts to try. Will you stay there forever??
Enjoy your blog and I'm jealous of your dots!

Natalie said...

johnson - i like them too. they were unique for sure!

citizen of the world - me too. i am not an artist at all. not at all!

tamara - it was amazing. i was impressed that it really didn't take him that long to paint it. that size was the biggest he did. probably because of the size of his water pan.

~m - according to the painter he studied the art medium in istanbul and had been doing it for 30 years.

jane somers - we are headed back to the states in november for some amount of time. at least 7 months possible for good. we have been here for 6 years and have loved every minute of it! thanks for the visit!

Your Pal Pinki said...

When we see people doing art, our whole family has to stop and watch.
Last time, we saw this guy carving bears and other statues with a chainsaw. We watched for hours.

Natalie said...

pinki - i've seen those chainsaw guys! i am always amazed at how they can get that chainsaw to do what they want. really!