header-photo

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Taste Test - Adult Edition

After subjecting my kids to various taste tests over the past 6 months I decided I needed some fresh meat. Last night my family was getting together to celebrate Erica and Jacob's birthdays with a hamburger cookout. I decided to add to the fun by bringing a little appetizer for everyone to try.

Enter sushi.


California rolls, Philly rolls with salmon, and spicy tuna rolls. I wasn't sure who had and who had not already tried sushi, but I was fairly certain there were a few sushi virgins among the bunch. I was not disappointed!

First up was my dad.


He'll try anything.


And pretend he doesn't like it! I should tell you that he tried all three types and said they weren't bad despite this look he gave the camera!

Next up was my brother, John.


He didn't mind trying it. He had tasted some before and wasn't crazy about it.


Not bad. I don't like the seaweed taste in it though. I've had some that had rice paper instead of seaweed, and it was better.

Next up are the outlaws...I mean in-laws.


Michelle and Paige are my lovely sisters-in-law. Paige loves sushi so she didn't mind it at all. Michelle was a little nervous but a great sport!


Down the hatch...


Not bad.


The seaweed is kinda chewy though. (I have to tell you that Michelle is adorably cute, and not one picture I took showed this. I must scour my files for an adorably cute picture of Michelle to post later to make up for these not so cute ones I am posting now.)

And Jeremy...


My brother-in-law.


Who said something about how much he loved when we lived in Turkey.


But that he would rather try sushi than do that thing I made them do last time. Jeremy loves us! (He really does...he's a great sport and lots of fun!)

Next up...my mother.


My mom said she wasn't going to try it. I wasn't going to make her. (Like I could make my mother do anything!) After the others tried it and lived to tell about it she decided all on her own to try it. She even tried the spicy tuna. Raw fish and spices. Wowza!


Not a big fan. That's all.

Then we have my sister, Vanessa.


Vanessa was nervous.


She doesn't like dark meat chicken because of the sliminess of it. Here she is about to try some raw fish. On purpose.


She ate it. She didn't like it, but at least she tried it. What a good sport.

Then it was Matt's turn.


Matt is the youngest of the 4 of us. Matt is married. Matt has two beautiful girls. Matt is stubborn! "I'm not trying it. You can't make me. Neener-neener." Little brothers. Sheesh!


Vanessa's youngest tried it.


And she liked it!


Jacob tried it and thought it was pretty good.


Anna Grace loves sushi!


Matt's oldest daughter tried it.


Another one of Vanessa's kids tried it.


He actually went back for seconds!


She didn't. But at least she tried a bite.


She passed it off to her mother.


And we're back to Matt. "I'm not trying it. You're not the boss of me!"

If you missed any of the previous tastes tests and want to see what all the fuss is about here are the links.

Taste Test #1

Taste Test #2

Taste Test #3

Taste Test #4

Taste Test #5

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

My children would have happily participated in that taste test - they LOVE sushi. So do I!

Anonymous said...

Yum! let's go have some!
t

Anonymous said...

My husband and son love sushi. I only like the cooked variety. I've tried raw and just don't care for it at all. Your family is full of good sports, except for Matt, not surprising since he's the 'baby.' It's always fun to have one hold out anyway! I thought the gingerbread competition was a hoot!

Mamadallama

Sra said...

You dad looks exactly like what I would expect one of my ex-boyfriends to look like when he grows up (if he ever grows up, that is).

I can eat certain kinds of sushi, and don't hate it, but I would rather order some teriyaki and tempura. I agree that the ones with rice paper are easier to stomach.

Brian said...

I applaud your family for trying Sushi. It's one of the few foods I will never eat.

Jennifer S said...

I love your taste tests!

Not a fan of sushi, but I should get credit for trying it .

Lost In Splendor said...

Wow.I am really surprised you got almost everyone to try it! I love sushi (except the roles with seaweed on the outside), but I am pretty much the only person I know (IRL) that will touch the stuff.

Now I really want some!

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww


I am with your brother on this one.


peace
#2

HeyJoe said...

Vanessa, how YOU doin?

LZ Blogger said...

Stppped by from Citizen's Blog... but I'm with Matt! ~ jb///

Anonymous said...

I think sushi is okay, but way overrated. My mom also swears by the rice paper.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I'm here via The Adventures of the Headless Family! I love your taste test idea! My older daughter just warmed up to sushi last year...we're still working on the Littlest One :) What a great way to get your kids to experiment and stretch their palate....I think I could introduce a whole new range of foods if the girls knew that I would be blogging about it! Hmmmmmmm......

Anonymous said...

you always do the most fun stuff! and the photos are always so entertaining...

Anonymous said...

mmmm, please send some sushie (kimbap in korea). it's so tasty but i'm far to lazy to make it very often!

Natalie said...

citizen of the world - me too! love it!

t - ok. anytime!

mamadallama - i loved that they were all willing to try it. the funny part was that none of them read them blog really so they hadn't seen any of the previous taste tests. i had to pull one up to show them what i wanted to do!

sra - i love my dad. he is the best! i love teriyaki and tempura as well!

brian - aw...now...it's not that bad!

jennifer h - you totally get credit. believe me...i have had some bad sushi. but when it's good it's really good! to me anyway!

#2 - he'll be glad to know he's not alone!

heyjoe - now that cracked me up. vanessa rarely reads the blog so unless i tell her you said this she probably won't see it!

lz blogger - how funny! thanks for the visit!

memarie lane - i agree it's overrated. i love it, but then again i love almost all kinds of food.

meandmom - thanks for the visit! my kids will try anything, but as you could tell they weren't that excited about some of the things i asked them to taste!

friyet - thanks! i enjoy those kinds of things! so fun to me!

~m - yep...kimbap. my korean friend in turkey taught me how to make it. i never could do it as well as she could!