header-photo

Thursday, July 17, 2008

A warning

Remember that camping trip we went on last week? The one where my husband cried in the video because he was being eaten alive by mosquitoes. Yeah...that's the one. Well I am somewhat upset about one of the outcomes of that trip. See when Brian gets a mosquito bite he feels it. He can swat at the offending mosquito and at least make an attempt to kill it. He may end up mosquito bitten, but he has wreaked havoc on the mosquito population anywhere near him by killing a number of their little friends. Mosquitoes don't stand a chance around him.

Then there's me. I don't feel the mosquitoes when they bite me. My kids were swatting at mosquitoes all evening. Brian was crying and whining about the mosquitoes, and I just sat there. Occasionally one of the kids would smack me under the pretense that I had a mosquito on me. I didn't believe them, because I never felt any biting me. I could see the bites on my family, but I was immune to those mosquitoes. Or so I thought. 2 days after arriving at home I started feeling those bites. And at last count I had 23 mosquito bites on my left leg below my knee. 23! The right leg has just as many. I have three on my face and neck. I have some on my back and one in an unmentionable place. I have been taking benedryl, because I can barely stand the itching. And the thing is I wouldn't mind the bites so much if I had gotten a few punches in myself. I just sat there and let them eat me. Mosquitoes heed my warning. Next time I even so much as see a mosquito I am spanking me some mosquito butt. For real!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take your fingernail and put a little cross on each bite. My daughters and I swear by this !! Makes them stop itching!!!!

True story...try it....go ahead....

peace
#2

HeyJoe said...

How funny, I received that same advice (fingernail cross) as a kid and continue to do it as well as pass it on (put one on the boy just the other day). I'm not sure that it helps, but it feels good to do it.

I too literally get attacked by mosquitoes. My mommy told me it’s because I'm so sweet. It's true you know.

Sra said...

That sucks. I got a similar number of bites once while hiking near a lake. Just hang in there and don't scratch! They'll be better in a few days.

Anonymous said...

I heard on the radio the other day that if you put a dryer sheet in your pocket, it will repel mosquitos. Don't know if you can get those in Turkey, but just a handy tip!!!

Gina said...

I get big welps from those buggers biting me, so I'm not a outdoors person!!

Jennifer S said...

Should I mail you a case of bug spray? Oh, honey.

Natalie said...

#2 - oh my gosh! brian is loving you right now! he tells me this exact thing every time i mention the words mosquito bite. i should try it i guess. i think i have in the past, and i'm sure it worked, but there are just so many!

heyjoe - ok...now this is just freaky! there must have been some secret fingernail crossing society or something. i don't ever remember hearing that as a kid! and your mommmy would never lie to you. of course you are sweet.

sra - i am trying to avoid the scratching. and they do seem to be getting better. still there, but not quite as itchy.

christy - well they don't have dryer sheets here. i will try that in the states though. i love that dryer sheet smell!

gina - yeah brian gets huge bites too. mine stay little, but they itch big!

jennifer h - you know we should have looked for some repellent before we went camping but forgot. next time i won't leave home without it!

Mike S said...

They leave my nasty old self alone, but the wife swears by the 'cross treatment'. Must be something to it.

Natalie said...

mike s - i'm guessing these cross treatment people know what they are talking about! thankfully other than a few marks they are all but gone!