header-photo

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Every child knows this...right?

This morning Anna Grace decided to eat some leftover macaroni and cheese for breakfast. She got the following bowl out of the cabinet and proceded to say "I'm going to use this bowl with that guy and that dude on it."



I wondered if it was really possible that she didn't know who they were. I asked her if she knew what their names were and she said no. I asked her if she knew what television show they were on, and she thought for a minute and said "Elmo". This was shocking to me! How can a kid grow up not knowing who Bert and Ernie are? I would bet that almost everyone my age could tell you who they were and give several details about both of them. Like Ernie is a fun loving guy who has a rubber duckie that he loves (cue rubber duckie song here). Bert is obsessed with pigeons (again...hum the song as you continue to read) and tends to be a little OCD. They have a window in their house where the twiddle bugs live in the flower box...and of course so much more! We have lived in Turkey since Anna Grace was 2 1/2 so I thought I could excuse her from knowing who they were. We have the movie Elmo in Grouchland and both Ernie and Bert are in it so I guess that is really the only thing she has ever seen them in. I decided to ask all my kids if they knew who these characters were. Will's response when asked who they were and what tv show they were on..."I don't know" and "Elmo". Jacob..."um...is one of them named Kermit?" Erica finally made me feel better when she said "Bert and Ernie" and "Sesame Street". She did look at me like I was crazy for even asking her that question though!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

If it makes you feel any better, Katie and Nathan didn't know who they were either. I think when they were preschoolers they were watching the 'older' shows with Alyssa and Zac and missed out on Sesame Street.