header-photo

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Bluebonnets


On Saturday I did some driving. I was in the car for about 3 hours; windows rolled down, music blaring, just enjoying myself. I drove through some country and had to deal with some traffic. Since I was in the middle of nowhere I was surprised by this. There were cars everywhere. They were slowing down and pulling over to the side of the road. People were everywhere. Getting out of their cars and frolicking in the bluebonnets. Those of you who have never lived in Texas may not be aware of bluebonnets. The bluebonnet is our state flower. In the spring there are fields of them all over the place. People bring their kids out and take their annual bluebonnet pictures. And let me tell you Saturday must have been the day for pictures because I literally saw hundreds of people in bluebonnet fields between my house and Giddings, Texas. I wish I had some bluebonnet pictures to share with you, but I don't. In all my years of living in Texas, I have never once taken pictures in the bluebonnets. No pictures of me or my kids frolicking in the fields of blue. I know...how can my kids call themselves Texans when they've never taken bluebonnet pictures!?! I thought about rectifying that today, but it was a lazy Sunday. Still no pictures. I wonder if next weekend will be too late.

Oh and if any of you have bluebonnet pictures of you or your kids or your friend's kids send them to me, and I'll post them on my blog. Just so my readers can understand the phenomenon. Thank you.

4 comments:

Joe @ IrrationalDad said...

This is all news to me. Sounds like Little House on the Prairie stuff to me.

Hopefully you'll get some pictures.

Mamadallama said...

So beautiful! I didn't know about this phenomenon either! I hope you get a chance to snap a bluebonnet shot with the kids. It must have been fun to come upon this so unexpectedly.

Lost In Splendor said...

These are beautiful. We definitely don't have this in PA.

becky marshall said...

We've been taking bluebonnet pics for about 25 years. It's a family tradition! In fact we toodled around central Texas last Friday and found some great fields around Whitehall, Tx. Love it!