header-photo

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Wait...Weight?

I decided to go ahead and make a post about my weight loss since I have gotten several emails from people who have commented on it. Yes...I have lost quite a bit of weight. I originally went on a "diet"...the dreaded D word...by accident in September of 2003. I had not planned on going on a diet. On Sept. 1, I made pancakes and had every intention of eating them, but by the time I fed my family and the visitors we had there wasn't enough for me to eat. Also I was sick of looking at the pancakes because I had made so many of them. For about 4 days things like that kept happening, and when I stopped and thought about it I had not had carbs or sugar to amount to anything for that entire time. My mother had just been telling me about the weight she lost doing Atkins so I thought I would try it. Once I made the decision to not have carbs or sugar it was harder. After about two weeks of severely limiting my carbs and sugar it got a lot easier. I no longer wanted them. I was pretty strict with myself from September through Thanksgiving. By that time I had lost about 30 pounds. It was shocking. And I felt great. After Thanksgiving I continued to watch what I ate, but didn't try to lose more weight. I never did set a goal weight. I was just excited to weigh less than I had in years. I kept that weight off for a full year. In November and December of 2004 I went to the states and saw several of you. Everyone was really surprised to see that I had lost so much weight. And I ate whatever I wanted while I was there...Hey! They don't sell Krispy Kreme here! After returning to Turkey things just seemed to be more stressful here and I put back on about 10 pounds. I am definitely a stress eater! I decided in October that I needed to lose that plus a little more, and I set a goal for what I wanted to weigh. Now I had something to work toward. I also set little goals...I want to lose 5 pounds by a certain date...or by the time I see my family at Christmas I want to weigh a certain amount...whatever it took to motivate me. It worked great. Since I started in October I have lost about 25 pounds. Some weeks I am really strict with what I eat and others I relax some. I weigh less now than when I got pregnant with Erica which was one of my "little goals". Now I would like to weigh what I weighed when I got married. That is my goal for going back to the states. I have 8 weeks...and 7 pounds. I think I can do it!

No comments: