header-photo

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Home again.

This past week we attended a conference for foreigners. The conference schedule was the perfect blend of planned and unplanned time slots. There were times to connect with people from all over the country as well as in our city. There was time with just the women. There was time scheduled for the family. There were lots of things to do. What did I do during the conference? Well half the time I stayed in my room with sick children. We arrived on Sunday afternoon. Everyone was healthy and happy. Monday...great. Tuesday...we started hearing rumors of people getting a stomach bug, but we all felt pretty good. That night Will started to feel a little sick. Wednesday...Will definitely had the stomach bug. He is 12 and normally I would have just left him in the hotel room by himself. This is Turkey, and while that might not be the safest thing to do in America it is fine to do here. The problem is he didn't want me to leave him. I guess that makes sense. He was sick and wanted his mama. Thursday...Jacob got it. Another day spent in the room. By about 10pm I was also not feeling great. Middle of the night....yep I had the stomach bug too. And then Anna Grace threw up in the bed. Great. Friday...I was still sick. AG was fine. I called to check on Erica who was sharing a room with some other older youth and she was throwing up as well. This didn't look good. We were supposed to be leaving Friday after lunch and two of us were still sick. We left around 1 and made it home about 4 hours later. We did have to stop twice, but all in all the trip wasn't bad. Today is Saturday. Brian woke up feeling bad. I don't feel sorry for him though. At least he gets to sleep in his own bed and use his own toilet.

8 comments:

Brittany said...

Throwing up in a strange toilet is the worst! I hope everyone feels better!

Unknown said...

awwww being sick is NO fun-but I gotta say reading about your life in another country sounds so intriqing-I hope everyone feels better soon

Anonymous said...

You have the worst luck with trips sometimes...

The good news is this all happened in a hotel, and not on the camping trip...

Glad you are feeling better!

HeyJoe said...

That sucks. Nothing worse than being sick away from home.

penny said...

I'm glad you had a good time. You know, other than the vomiting.

Anonymous said...

Hope everyone gets back to normal soon and then you should tell us about each person's favorite part of the conference!

Mamadallama

The Over-Thinker said...

Seriously--you have the best attitude ever! I'm totally not being sarcastic---I seriously admire your "Oh well, there was a lot of puking but all in all it was quite lovely" attitude. I'm pretty sure my recap post would be something like this:

"Beepity, beep beep puking and then beep and when I puked in the beepin' toilet all beepin' beep broke loose."

And then I would be nominated for the Classiest Delicate Blogger award.

Natalie said...

brittany - i agree! and the fact that i had nothing to clean it with made it even worse!

georgie - sometimes it is intriguing. sometimes it is pretty boring. but most of the time i enjoy it!

charlie girl - well they certainly make for better blog posts! not that this one was that exciting, but you know what i mean!

heyjoe - yep. totally sucked.

penny - it was fun. hanging out with people when i could was quite enjoyable to me!

mamadallama - i'll have to ask them that! we got back, recovered and went to school. the conference will be a distant memory before too long!

over-thinker - i am a laid back person for the most part, but that attitude is definitely the result of living in a country where i had to totally adapt. i learned very quickly that the way i had always done things was just that...only my way. here i just take it as it comes. not much i can do about most of it! there are times that i want to explode though. they aren't pretty.