header-photo

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Pet Peeve #47

You know when you visit a blog...whether that blog is a friend's blog or a stranger's blog doesn't matter...and you are so moved by the post that you have to make a comment? Or maybe you aren't so moved...maybe you just feel the need to explain your position on the subject matter. Maybe you really don't have a position and you want to encourage the post's writer to keep up the great writing. Or maybe you just want to tell them to go suck an egg. (I personally have never told anyone to go suck an egg.) So you make a comment and if you are like me you leave your real name...no anonymous comments here (unless I am telling them to go suck an egg...which I've never done). And then for days you check back to see if they have read your comment. And really the only way to know for sure if they've read it is if they have commented back to you. Which brings me to my point. I hate not being acknowledged for my witty remarks on other's blogs. Well...they might not all be witty. Some of them might be clever. Some might be factual. Some might even move you to tears. And how will I know if you laughed, cried, or threw up a little in your mouth because of my comment if you don't tell me? I'm just saying...

And just so you know. I almost always write back to my commenters on the same post they commented on. I'm just saying...

12 comments:

fringes said...

Good post!

*running through my archives to see if I missed answering one of your comments.

**if you commented on one of Q's, you're out of luck. He's not always a comment-answerer. He actually works at his job while I fake working by answering comments.

Pro Ecclesia said...

I'm still waiting for you to remark on some of my witticisms that I left on here months ago. Surely you had something to say about my "Santa Rap" comment?

;-)

Natalie said...

fringes...thanks! and i think you do a great job of answering comments. if you missed one i don't remember.

jay...ok...for the record i did say "almost always" when talking about my responses to comments. i knew someone would remind me of something i never acknowledged! yes...the infamous santa rap. i read it to brian and we had fun reminiscing and trying to remember the beat. we did not teach it to jacob though...anna grace...now that's who needs to learn the santa rap!

Anonymous said...

Natalie, that's part of the reason I love your blog. You always respond to my comments. You have spoiled me for other blogs because there are many I read who never reply to comments. It makes me feel like you actually care about what I say and I like that! :)

Anonymous said...

I rarely ever comment on anyone's blogs (I think I'm approaching my record on yours).

What really sucks is when your comment is the only one not commented on. Always.

Not meaning you, of course!

Natalie said...

kristy - see i feel the same way when my comments are acknowledged. like i've been seen or heard or something! i like that.

1smileygirl - i hear you sister! there is one blog i have commented on probably 7 times. i've done funny comments, matter-of-fact comments, thanks for the laugh comments, and i've even tried to relate to the author in my comments. i've had absolutely no responses at all. it would be ok if the author didn't respond to anyone, but almost everyone else gets a shout out. i think he hates me. oh well. now it's almost like a challenge. i will keep commenting...keep looking for things to say until it kills me. he will respond! dadgummit!

HeyJoe said...

Amen sister. I will often e-mail people who comment, just so they know I read it because I don't know if they'll even come back to my blog to see if I commented on their comment. You know?

Natalie said...

heyjoe - i know. i don't have the whole email thing set up on my blog so if they care they have to check back with me. if they don't care enough to check back then they are just missing out on my brilliant response!

HeyJoe said...

I ALWAYS check back when I comment. :)

Natalie said...

way to go joe!

Anonymous said...

We have this in common and it is good to know this about you... I also try to tell people when I will be out of touch, so they know I am not being rude when they do not see a comment back.... so please always give me a day or two.... or shoot me an email...

;>)

Natalie said...

witty - you are a great comment answerer. i never wonder if i've been heard after commenting on your blog! i like that!