header-photo

Friday, April 02, 2010

World Autism Awareness Day

Since it's World Autism Awareness Day I thought I would write about a little something that's been on my mind lately.

Right after spring break I got a new student. He seemed to be having trouble adapting to our schedule. After 2 weeks of teaching said student I'm almost positive he has Asperger's Syndrome or some other form of autism. My niece has it, and there are many similarities to the glimpses I got of her at that age. I haven't said anything to the parents, because I'm not sure why he transferred to our school. I know he is closer to his mother's job now. I know they pay tuition for him to go to our school, because they still live in the district where his old school was. I can't help but wonder if the teacher at his old school mentioned that he might need to be tested because of his problems, and his parents didn't agree or want to accept it. From what I can tell he's an only child. He reads and writes beautifully (From what I've read good handwriting isn't normal for autistic kids...hm...). He can count better than most. Based on those things he is a model student. But something is definitely wrong. I've talked to my principal, and she thinks we should wait to talk to the parents. She told me to make notes. Document behaviors that stand out. I've started doing that. I just wish I could call his old school and get some feedback from them.

While looking things up online I came across this fictional story about a kid with Asperger's Syndrome that I thought I would share. Just in case anyone out there is interested.

3 comments:

Mamadallama said...

That is a tough one! Sometimes parents are not able to 'hear' that their child is different. I don't know the appropriate thing for you to do, but maybe one of your readers has more experience. It looks like your principal would be the go-to person and you have done that.

Kay Martin said...

I don't know if this website would be any help but thought I'd include the link:

http://www.socialthinking.com/social-thinking-home/introduction-to-social-thinking.html

My first thought was it might help you present your information when you finally do have a conversation with his parents.

Christy G. said...

Trouble adapting to your schedule how? Have you tried using a picture schedule? They are fairly easy to make and inexpensive. Have a visual representation/picture (digital photos are great) of each activity through out the day. Even though it may vary from day to day (i.e. library, P.E., etc.) have that day lined out on a poster board/clipboard with velcro. As it comes time to do each activity, let him take one down and put it in a pocket attached to the bottom of the chart. If you use a clipboard you can have a piece of velcro on the left and right side. When it is time, let him move the picture from the left to the right to denote completion or that it is time for an activity. Sometimes children with Autism need that visual representation to be organized and not feel so lost in the activities of the day. Hope this helps.